‘Andhera chatega, Suraj Niklega, Kamal Khilega’
These lines are buzzing around in ears of all Indian civilians. 16th Aug. 2018 is a sad day in history of India, a great scholar, poet & one of the shrewdest politicians -our former prime minister has passed away at the age of 93 after a prolonged illness. To the tricolor draped Vajpayee, India bids Last rites at Smriti Sthal. Millions of hearts are filled with grievances for their favourite leader, not only the fans , even opponents.
Atal Bihari was born December 25, 1924, Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh, India. His father was a teacher, belonged from a well- cultivated educated family, Atal was a basin of assorted backgrounds and philosophies.
- Avid Hindi Lover and Winner of hearts: Atal Bihari won all Indians heart when he delivered his UNGA address in Hindi in September 13, 2002.
- Pragmatic and utilitarian leader: He always dreamt of pragmatism and an inclusive India . Atal Bihari was a great son of the soil. His heart always beat for the nation. In 1942 he also took part in Quit India movement and later on laid various road paths during his tenure to develop a successful nation.
- Fond of Mumbai and its belongings: Atal Bihari was a fond of Mumbai rains, Marathi films and plays. He was a great admirer of Marathi literature and history.
- Supreme Scholar & Poet: He did his graduation and post-graduation in Political Science from Victoria College in Gwalior. He Loved to take part in ‘kavi sammelans’.Among all , Kaka Hathrasi was his favourite which he generally used to listen. He won India’s highest civilian honour, the Bharat Ratna and Padma Vibhushan too.
- Great economist: Atal is known as the “Bheeshm Pitamah of Indian politics”. He performed a lot of activities in the economic front . He brought miracle changes to the Indian economy. Unbelievably, the inflation rate was even below than 4%. The GDP rate shown a remarkable growth of more than 8 percent. Trade, industries & Foreign exchange were on boom under his governance. He is well known as liberaliser of Indian economy. When India was hit by Asian financial crisis, he put a lot of initiatives to boost trade and industry and eventually the economy of country. Even during natural disasters, oil crises he did not let the Indian economy fall down.
- Pokhran-II underground nuclear bomb tests: In 1996 he became the prime minister for the first time; his sought to make India a nuclear nation. In 1996 he went through all odds & gave a way to nuclear tests in Pokhran. However the task could not be completed then. In 1998, when he became prime minister again, he accomplished the nuclear tests and marked India among the nuclear nations. Pokhran-II underground nuclear bomb tests are stroked as the CIA’s biggest intelligence failure.
Vajpayee- Musharraf summit: Atal was a patient and peace- loving soul. He made a tryst with Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf to plea harmony and brotherhood between the two countries.
- Lahore bus diplomacy In 1999: in 1999, Atal reached out to Pakistan through the Lahore bus diplomacy. He started a bus service between New Delhi and Lahore in Pakistan to bring the two nations closer to each other.
- The Kargil war, May 1999: Under governance of atal Bihari Vajpayee’s prime India successfully defeat Pakistan in 1999 Kargil war.
- Swadeshi Jagran Manch: Swadeshi Jagran Manch sustained by him helped Indian economy grow at a faster pace and bloom soon.
- Telecom Era in India: Atal is the initiator of telecom era in India . He brought telecom revolution in India by giving upswing to Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd. He provided cheap cellphones to weaker sections of the society.
- Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana : The Yojana led by him transformed the Indian villages. Every village was laced with pukka roads and basic amenities. Besides, he also unveiled the National Highway Development Project that laid the foundation of Golden Quadrilateral’ i.e national highways connecting the four major cities Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai and Kolkata.
- Secular leader: In 1991 when Babri mosque was demolished he presented a secular comeback. He attended none of the gatherings and yatras held by BJP and other religious groups that upkeep the masjid demolition as justified. He showed his grievances that the mosque should not have been destroyed. Atal was angry with the anti-Muslim extremists, he dare speak out against the destruction of the historic mosque. Atal was always considered a realist and known for his peace-making gestures toward India’s Muslim.
- Immense contribution in bilateral ties: Atal Bihari Vajpayee contributed for ‘a change’ in bilateral ties with other countries. He always believed in humanity and harmony persuasiveness. He took a great initiative in maintaining harmony between India and Pakistan. In 2002 he meets Bill Clinton to boost trade and brother hood between India & America. He also levelled to resolve disputes between India, China, and other Asian countries as well.
- Strict Follower of rajdharma: Atal was a strict Follower of rajdharma. Communal riots of Gujarat in 2002 resulted into a massive loss of lives and capital. Atal asked Gujarat CM (Narendra Modi) not to back communal discern, he asked him to follow rajdharma and treat all caste creed religion alike.
- Sarva Siksha Abhiyan: Sarva Siksha Abhiyan led by Atal declared education as a fundamental right for children aged 6 to 14 years.
- Kandahar plane hijack On December 24, 1999: when in 1999 Indian Airlines Flight IC-814 was hijacked by Pakistan-based extremist group Harkat-ul-Mujahideen. The situation was hard to deal. In order to safeguard the passengers and crew the government had to surrender to their demands.
Our final salute to the astute statesman, political leader and a great soul. His deeds would always recall his name forever.