Hindu Rajput queen -Rani Padmavati is a legendary heroic figure of 13th-14th century, recently fictionalized by Sanjay Lila Bansali’s movie Padmavati. Even though there are hardly any textual references that support the existence of Queen Padmini. Malik Muhammad Jayasi’s Padmavat mentions Padmavati’/ Padmini as princess of the Singhal kingdom (Sri Lanka). Ratan Sen, the Rajput ruler of Chittor won her hand in marriage after a long quest and brought her to Chittor. Alauddin Khilji is known as one of the most brutal rulers of the Khilji , he was engrossed with her and fell head over heels for her. He laid siege to Chittor to get hold of Padmavati, before he could capture Chittor treasure and women, Padmavati and her companions wailed for their men & committed self-immolation to protect their dignity and fidelity. The heroism by the Rajput women martyrs, thus etched striking pages to the Rajputana history.
Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s film Padmavati won the heart of admirers with the first-look posters of Glorious Deepika Padukone playing the role of Rani Padmavati. In the film, Shahid acted as Deepika’s husband, Raja Rawal Ratan Singh and Ranveer plays the role of Muslim invader Alauddin Khilji.
Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s Film Padmavati- On Controversy:
The movie was intended to hit the screens on 1st of December 1. Before the film has been released, it is facing major criticism in many regions of India. The carps claim that the movie is guilty of distorting history. Fringe Rajput group Karni Sena and other political groups are reacting absurd and ridiculously called for Chittorgarh bandh against the film claiming that it intimidate art and culture.
Film Padmavati is being criticized in Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh and Gujarat for degrading women & distorting the Rajput history. The controversy started with a rumour that the movie displays a love scene between Alauddin Khilji and Rani Padmini. However Sanjay Leela Bhansali claims that the film does not hurt anyone’s sentiments & solely endorses the dignity of Rajputana culture. On the other side Hecklers claim that the movie distorts Rajput women’s pride by screening romance between a Rajput queen and a cruel Muslim invader.
Mob is just blindly heeding & believing to the rumours without even seeing it. Fringe Rajput group Karni Sena and other political groups are supporting this misguided anger and spreading to several groups.
Political powers are adding fire to the controversy & devastation:
- Divya Kumari (whose grandfather was the last ruler of Jaipur) is a member of Rajasthan Legislative Assembly and BJP alleged that the film highlights the romantic angle rather than the sacrifice made by the queen and it hurts the dignity of the Rajput women & their sentiments too.
- Padmini Devi (the former maharani of Jaipur) also demands the movie to be previewed by representatives of groups and delete the offensive distorting scenes or ban it!
- Few BJP leaders along with Jaipur royals, are in conflict with romantic angle between Padmavati and Khilji. Whereas, Mr Bhansali has been continuously discordant with all these rumours, he promises the movie depict no such malign scene or story between Padmavati and Khilji.
- Women Rajputs are protested in Chittorgarh, Rajasthan claiming that the movie is distorting the history & malign the queen.
- Union Minister Uma Bharti also publicized “No non-sense with Indian woman’s pride – past, present or future will be bearable at all”. She demands for a strong action to be taken to resolve the dispute.
- BJP minister Chintamani Malviya, also fuelled the protest reverbing the movie as a distortion to the Rajput history. He stated, “People like Bhansali only understand the language of shoes.” He also bombarded grit on the film industry saying that filmmakers’ women family members are in a custom of changing their husbands every day, so how can they understand the sacrifice ‘Jauhar’.
- Congress leader, Pratap Singh Kachariyawas also called for a ban on the film.
- BJP leader IK Jadeja has also demanded a stay on the film release as it is being alleged for distorting history.
The expose conducted by India Today bring into being that Karni Sena is doing all this distortion for the sake of many with support of political powers, there is nothing like really being patriotic and nationalist!
What is true what is not, has not been revealed yet! However the thing to question here is that who is responsible for all the demolition happening all over. Sanjay Leela Bhansali has been beaten up, the sets has been vandalised, threatened to burn theatres. Isn’t it telepathic to react so punitive over something that hasn’t been seen in white light till now? Remember of Charlton Heston’s famous movie Ten Commandments that was nominated for several Academy Awards. The film’s events & script is blown up adapted version of the Moses from the Bible, it even screened events that were not mentioned even in the Bible but nobody flaked it “for distorting” Biblical tales. Do we not have anything better to do with our time? Are we just a bunch of hooligans who are just meant to cause destruction by the name of religion, caste, creed, culture or a fictional queen who is still debatable even of existence!